The construction of Palazzo Brugiotti was requested by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese along with the opening of Via Farnesiana, as shown in a document of the City Council dated 11 October 1573 where he gave “Order that the New Road be built”.
The various sources make it possible to ascertain with precision the different owners of the building: from the Brugiottis to the Cobelluzzi family up to Banco di Roma.
There is not enough evidence instead to determine who commissioned its construction or the exact date of completion. The most accepted theory is that it was completed before 1658,the year when the vault of the hall of the main floor was completed with the installation of the imposing and majestic oval canvas depicting the meeting of Venus and Aeneas. After recent restoration, this work has been attributed to Anton Angelo Bonifazi (1627-1699), a Viterbo painter who trained in Rome at the workshop of Pietro da Cortona, the most representative exponent of the Baroque art movement in Viterbo.
The first and main floor of the building is currently occupied by the offices of Fondazione Carivit and the Conference Room, which was in the past used as the meeting room of the master of the house. The rooms on the main floor can be accessed through a small private courtyard which features an imposing statue of Moses depicted as he holds the tables of the law in Hebrew characters in his left hand.
The ground floor, accessed through a large hall, houses the room of the Ceramics of Tuscia museum and the annexed secret garden.